Questions to Consider
Choosing the right homecare agency for yourself or a loved one is an important task. Here are some questions to ask when considering a home health provider:
- Is the home healthcare provider licensed?
- Is the home healthcare provider accredited by a leading national accreditation firm?
- Are the caregivers employed by the provider and supervised by the provider's Clinical Directors?
- Does the provider perform criminal background checks on caregivers prior to hiring?
- Are the caregivers covered by Workers' Compensation in the event they are injured on the job?
- Is the provider responsible for deducting State, Federal, Local, and Social Security taxes from the caregivers' wages?
- Does the provider send a Registered Nurse to meet the family and develop a plan of care for the caregivers to follow?
- Once assigned, are caregivers regularly supervised and evaluated by a Registered Nurse?
- Does the provider require the caregivers to carry photo identification?
- If you are dissatisfied with your caregiver, may you request a replacement?
- Does the provider supply backup in case the primary caregiver has an emergency and cannot work?
- Does the provider keep a "log book" in your home to document services performed (i.e. meals, activities, bathing, etc.)?
- Does the agency provide overnight and/or 24-hour care?
- Is the provider available on-call 24-hours a day / 7 days a week /365 days a year?
To learn more, contact Maxim Healthcare Services today.